Know Who To Turn To

Minor Injuries UnitBack

When you need urgent care for a minor injury, burn or simple fracture, turn to an MIU.

What is an MIU?

MIUs are run by highly experienced Emergency Nurses who can assess and treat minor injuries. They can also arrange for you to be transferred elsewhere if they find a more serious problem.

You don't usually need to make an appointment to attend an MIU and waiting times are less than half those at an accident and emergency (A&E) department.

When to turn to an MIU

Turn to an MIU for:
  • cuts and minor burns
  • sprains and strains
  • broken bones and fractures.
You should only turn to an MIU for an injury and not illness. If you have an illness:

How will MIU staff help?

When you attend an MIU:
  • your injury will be assessed and treated appropriately
  • a follow-up for further treatment will be arranged if required.

If your injury is too serious, you will be transferred elsewhere for specialist care.

Find local minor inuries unit now

Just enter a postcode and hit search

Invalid town/postcode. Please try again.

Still unsure?

If you are still unsure who to turn to, phone NHS 24 on 111.

They can help direct you to the most appropriate service for your needs.